Kiddieland

Posted on in All New, Parks

Kiddieland, a family-run amusement park on Chicago’s West Side, closed it gates for the last time on September 27th, 2009. After opening in 1929, it operated for a total of 81 years. The last of Chicagoland’s permanent small box amusement parks. It will be greatly missed. The parents of one of my friends rode the Polyp on their first date. The Polyp, for those of you who have never been to Kiddieland, is a green octopus type ride, with faces painted on the front of each car. If you have an interesting story, please leave a comment.

Chicago Fact: giant hot dog statues on rooftops sell a lot of frankfurters
IMG_8697
Not the world’s largest roller coaster, in some ways more scary
IMG_8610
Make a b-line for the rocket. No one wants the bikes.
IMG_8655
A Moser Rides drop tower
IMG_8630
Oh, the swings! Such joy!
IMG_8645
The elation of a bumper car collision
IMG_8662
Who dares to ride the Polyp?
IMG_8673
Get more vertical, on the Saucers:
IMG_8596
Stroller jam in the concession area:
IMG_8707
The thrill of cotton candy, the agony of defeat:
IMG_8585
All the way up the cargo nets:
IMG_8616
…and back down the shoot to ground level:
IMG_8622

Special thanks to my niece Piper, and to Tony’s nieces too…

9 responses to “Kiddieland”

1. Erica says:

That place looks awesome! How sad that it closed.

The hot dog at the top reminded me of this blog post:

2. Chris in the Georgia Mountains says:

My parents used to take me to Kiddieland when I was a kid. I remember the best time I had there was for my 6th birthday.

I was supposed to have a birthday party at my home for all the neighborhood kids. I lived just east of Midway Airport. The party was all set, replies accepting the invitations were received and it was a “Go!” That is until my maternal grandmother went nuts once again.

She threw a fit, undressed and ran around the neighborhood, naked, and with a long, kitchen knife in her hand. That wsa the day before the supposed party and of course, my Mother started receiving calls saying parents would not send their kids to my home if grandmother was there. My Mother talked the police into not taking grandmother away – like they really should have done – so the parents were scared for their kids, and rightly so.

As a way to make up for the destroyed birthday party, my Mom & Dad took me to Kiddieland and I had so much fun. Of course, it did not offset the party I was supposed to have – and never did have because the neighbors were always afraid of grandmother.

3. admin says:

This is a really crazy story! It sounds like grandma made a memory that you will ever forget. I’m glad that you got to go to Kiddieland, at very least.

4. Don says:

You can still ride the steam train at The Hesston Steam Museum in Hesston, Indiana.

5. Helene Smith says:

here are some photos that i shot on Kiddieland’s closing day! available for purchase:

6. admin says:

Nice shots Helene!

7. Helene Smith says:

thank you so much for the kind words about my photography!;)
    Helene Smith

8. Don Malzahn says:

A couple of the rides went to the rejuvenated Santa Village in East Dundee, IL. Read about it here. http://abcnews.go.com/International/warming-plateau-climatologists-face-inconvenient-truth/story?id=20375601

9. admin says:

Thanks for the information Don!